40 Year Recertification
RGD - Your 40 Year Recertification Experts
RGD Consulting Engineers is one of the leaders in the State of Florida for 40 & 50 Year Building Safety Inspections. With our 28+ years of knowledge and expertise in structural and electrical engineering systems, we promise a quick and efficient recertification process for your building that will keep your costs to a minimum.
What is 40 Year Recertification?
The 40 year Recertification program is required by Ordinance to guarantee that the structural and electrical components of a building are safely up to code for continued use. Commercial and non-single residential buildings in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties are required to receive recertification after the 40th year and every subsequent 10 years. The recertification inspection can only be completed by a qualified Florida Architect or Professional Engineer.
Miami Dade County - 40 Year Recertification Requirements
Miami-Dade requires that all commercial buildings and non-single family residences receive recertification at 40 years or older and every subsequent 10 years.
- Single Family Homes
- Buildings with an occupant load of ten (10) or less and 2,000 SF or less
- Non-residential buildings on farms.
Helpful Links About Miami-Dade's 40 Year Recertification Program
- Miami Dade Recertification Program
- Miami-Dade Notice of Required Recertification
- Miami Dade Minimum Inspection Guidelines - Structural
- Miami Dade Minimum Inspection Guidelines - Electrical
Broward County - 40 Year Safety Inspection / Recertification Program
Modeled after the Miami Dade program, the Broward program also calls for the structural and electrical inspection of buildings 40 years old or older and every ten years thereafter.
- One and Two Family Dwellings
- Schools under the jurisdiction of the Broward County School Board
- All Buildings with an area of 3,500 SF or less
- U.S. Government and State of Florida Buildings
- Buildings Built on an Indian Reservation
Helpful Links About Broward County's 40 Year Safety Inspection Program
How it Works
- Once you receive a notice of inspection, you have a 90 day period to have the building's structural and electrical components inspected by a Florida Registered Architect or Engineer. An inspection form is required to be completed for the structural and the electrical systems.
- The report must include both a structural and electrical package that identifies "Repairs Required" or "No Repairs" needed. It is the Owner's responsibility to submit a hard copy of the signed report with payment.
- Should the building be deemed safe, it will not be required to have another inspection for another 10 years. However, if structural or electrical deficiencies are noted, the Owner has 180 days to obtain any necessary permits and complete the repairs.
- If the Owner fails to submit the required recertification form, a notice of violation and a notice of hearing will be issued. Penalties may be assessed if the Owner fails to take the necessary action to remediate violations in a timely manner. Extensions can be granted and approved, however these are on a case by case basis.
How RGD Can Help
Have you received a notice of required inspection from your city or county requiring you to perform a 40 year inspection or recertification of your property? RGD is here to help!
We are qualified to provide structural and electrical inspections with our in house Florida Registered Engineers. We will conduct a thorough inspection of your building and prepare a report for submission to the Building Department. If we note any deficiencies, we can assist in the repair process and oversee any repair work to ensure that all recommendations are being followed.
Trust your recertification to RGD Consulting Engineers for a quick and efficient 40 Year Recertification!