Changes in Continuing Education for Florida PEs Made Official By Governor Scott
July 2014 --Governor Rick Scott signed HB 713 into Florida Law, which revises appointment of FBPE Board members, continuing education requirements, the retaking of the Fundamental (FE) and Principles and Practice (PE) examinations, and exemptions to taking the Fundamentals Examination.
Below is a summary of the changes to continuing education in Chapter 471 Florida Statutes.These changes will not take effect until March 1, 2015, and will not apply until the 2015-2017 biennial renewal.
- A total of 18 CEU will be required to renew a PE license (Used to be 8).
- One hour must relate to Laws & Rules of Professional Engineers (This may be earned by a PE serving as a member of the Legislature or as an elected state or local official).
- One hour must relate to professional ethics.
- Four hours must relate to the licensee's area of practice.
- Remaining hours may correlate to any topic relevant to the practice of engineering.
- Four of the hours may be obtained by being an officer for a Board-recognized professional or technical engineering society.
A overview of the amendments to Chapter 471 can be found here.